The making (page 2)

The core body of the Swift is made as a styrene shell that will be filled with resin later to ensure stiffness and durability of the pattern.

That section was rather tricky to figured out out because it is hidden with three outer pods (that will me made in further steps). Still, the end result seems to be a close match to the Studio model based on the available references.

The body gets a first coat of primer to help reveal defects. More details (and coats) will be needed to complete this section. Click here for a closer look.

The whole assembly so far is temporarily fixed in place and compare to a 12" PE Eagle (featuring modified SAW side boosters!) The Swift will measure 35.4cm (13.9") once built. Click here for a closer look.

Close-up of the main engine section. A lot of 'tiny' details will be added in this area. Notice that the aluminium bells are from the first sample set. Mike Reader is currently working on an even more accurate set.

Lots of details were added to the engine assembly and core body. Close-up.

Main engine will be surrounded with three fuel pods and three auxiliary engines. The main bell on these pictures is a bit too long and will be retooled later on by Mike Reader. Notice the positioning plugs on the main engine cylinder. Close-up.

The panel of details over each of the three fuel pods will be made as a separate part; Panel on the bottom fuel pod (shown below) is different from the two on each sides.

Close-up of the 'neck' area underneath the core body. Most of the details shown were took from plastic kits and reduced to the needed scale (see the list of 'wiggits' used on page 1).

While making the side pods I found the sides of the core body to be off by a few degrees (not enough vertical) so it went into major surgery to correct this; The white sections (styrene) were added and carefully sanded to shape. Notice the pods in construction on each side of the core body.

Reworking the code body also allowed me to make a few improvements along with a more sturdy joint with the side pods, on which the landing struts will be attached.

The footpads were tricky too. At first, I did the pattern based on the most recent pictures found of the Swift. However, I have learned from Chris Trice (DX-SFX) that Martin Bower redid them after filming (probably because the original ones got damaged somehow...) Chris kindly supplied me with references of the original footpads so in the end I ended up making both versions as seen below. On left is the original footpad design as seen in 'Brian the Brain' and on right the 'remade' version, that is most often seen these days.

The kit will of course feature the original footpad design but depending on interest I might also include the latest version as an option to choose from. By the way, pictures above and below are resin castings.

I have already made moulds of most of the parts done so far for test-fit purposes and some as 'proof of concept'. At the exception of the command module, the core body and the side pods, all parts below are castings. The kit will have over a 100 resin parts plus 15 aluminium bells/vtols, decals and a few more multimedia parts.  Click here for a closer look.

Some of these parts goes on the side pods extremities, where the landing struts are attached. The side pods will have a wooden armature to support the weight of the model and to prevent any deformation (sinking) of the model over time...

A classic view for size comparison along a PE 12" Eagle ...with JD's nuke kit replacing the standard pod. Click here for a closer look.

Another perspective view. Of course, the Swift will stand higher with its landing struts installed. Close-up.

A close-up on the rear engine assembly, made of 10 separate resin parts. Notice the resin 'plug' inside the top auxiliary bell. Click here for a closer look.

Go to page 3